The Morar Hotel is a friendly family owned hotel on the romantic "Road to the Isles", 3 miles from Mallaig, the Southern Gateway to the Isle of Skye.
Commanding breathtaking views of the famous Silver Sands of Morar and the Inner Hebridean islands of Rum & Eigg, its panoramic views and comfortable accommodation make it the perfect coastal escape.
Built in 1902, originally as the Station hotel, and is only metres from the train station. During its quiet history, the place has seen just 4 owners and has a long tradition of being a family run hotel. Original owners the MacKellaig family ran it until 1973, followed by the MacLeod family until 2003 then the Mansons to June 2005. In July 2006 the hotel was purchased by the Scott family who also own the Angus Hotel in Blairgowrie, Perthshire & Tinto House Hotel in the Scottish Borders.
Morar has seen little change in the past century and is still a quiet sleepy village at the end of the Road to the Isles. The scenery remains as unspoilt as it was decades ago when it inspired celebrated composer Sir Arnold Bax on his many summer stays in the hotel.
Morar has a rich Jacobite tradition and it was through the district that the Young Pretender fled after the battle of Culloden in 1746. The Jacobite Lord Lovat was captured on the islands in Loch Morar before being taken to London for execution in the same year.
Traditionally, Morar was at the centre of An Garbh Chriochan, the Roughbounds of the Highlands until 1901 when the construction of the famed West Highland Line was completed. Previously journeys to Morar took seven & a half hours by coach. With the introduction of the steam train, the journey took only one & a half hours from Fort William which is just 50 minutes distance by road or by the special steam hauled service that runs on the West Highland line in the summer months.
Morar Celebrates 110th Birthday
Built in 1902, The Morar Hotel celebrated its 110th Birthday thisd summer. Originally starting out life as the ...
Morar Opens for its 110th Season
The Morar Hotel has today opened its doors fro its 110th Summer Season, welcoming travellers to the area since 1902...