Morar Celebrates 110th Birthday
19 March 2012
Built in 1902, The Morar Hotel celebrated its 110th Birthday thisd summer.
Originally starting out life as the Station Hotel, the property is still only feet away from Morar Station and waves to the Jacobite Steam Train every day, on its way to Mallaig.
During its 110 year history, the place has had just 4 owners and has a long tradition of being a family run hotel.
The original owners, the MacKellaig family, ran it until 1973 when it was bought by the MacLeod family who took over the operations until 2003 when it was sold to the Mansons in June 2005.
In July 2006 the hotel was purchased by the Scott family who also own the Angus Hotel in Blairgowrie, Perthshire & Tinto House in the Scottish Borders.
Seeing little change in the last centurey, Morar is still a quiet ,sleepy village at the end of the Road to the Isles. The scenery remains as unspoilt as it was decades ago when it inspired celebrated composer Sir Arnold Bax on his many summer stays in the hotel.
Morar has a rich Jacobite tradition and it was through the district that the Young Pretender fled after the battle of Culloden in 1746. The Jacobite Lord Lovat was captured on the islands in Loch Morar before being taken to London for execution in the same year.
Traditionally, Morar was at the centre of An Garbh Chriochan, the Roughbounds of the Highlands until 1901 when the construction of the famed West Highland Line was completed. Previously journeys to Morar took seven & a half hours by coach.
With the introduction of the steam train, the journey took only one & a half hours from Fort William which is just 50 minutes distance by road or by the special steam hauled service that runs on the West Highland line in the summer months.